Photo by Sergey Galushko/Hemera / Getty Images

Family law is my specialty, and the heart of my practice.  The broad reach of family law encompasses many different issues and types of cases.  You don't have to be married to have a family law issue; the one constant is some form of interpersonal relationship. Although my practice is broad and reaches many different areas, the most common family law matters I handle are:

  • Divorce/Legal Separation 
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support and Spousal Support
  • Debt/Asset Division
  • Relocation
  • Modifications
  • Paternity/Parentage 

Divorce is by far the most common family law matter I see.  There are two types of divorce cases: (1) uncontested and (2) contested.  An uncontested matter generally requires little to no litigation, and often resolves quicker than a contested divorce.  A contested divorce often leads clients into the unknown and perplexing world of litigation.  That situation is where I think clients need an attorney most--not only to protect their interests, but to guide them through the procedural maze that a lawsuit can become.  No matter which type of divorce my clients are pursuing, I always remind them that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is an end point, and my job is to get you there.    

Some clients do not require a complete divorce package, but need modifications to existing orders and parenting plans, actions for contempt, restraining orders and other legal matters that arise following temporary orders or a final decree.  These types of cases also often require courtroom appearances and procedural hurdles.  I guide my clients through those matters as well.


Photo by neyro2008/iStock / Getty Images

In addition to my family law practice, I also practice a small amount of civil litigation, most often breach of contract matters.  I have over 10 years of experience with many different areas of civil litigation.  I am happy to apply my experience to my practice--even though it is not the main focus.  

Breach of contract often arises when someone neglects to pay money owed under a written agreement (oral agreements are generally not enforceable).  If someone owes you or your business money, or if the terms of a contract are not being performed and damaging you in return, I provide representation to enforce those contracts.  The process could be as simple as a demand letter, or it could turn into a full blown lawsuit.  It all depends on the circumstances and the position of the parties.  My experience over the years allows me confidence in pursuing these types of cases.